The Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) is a unified standard implemented by the U.S. Department of Defense that requires any contractor in the defense industrial supply chain to meet specified cybersecurity requirements verified with periodic assessments depending on the sensitivity of information accessed and the criticality of the contractor’s role in the defense industrial base.
What is CMMC?
- The framework of CMMC is limited to Department of Defense contractors only. Regardless of size, all 300,000+ members of the DIB need to become CMMC-certified, according to the CMMC accreditation body (CMMC-AB), which administers the plan on behalf of the DoD.
- One of the most impactful requirements of the mandate is that the CMMC assessments – based on 5 different levels of security maturity – are performed and certified by an independent third party CMMC assessors, accredited by the CMMC-AB.
- Prior to CMMC, the DoD required all contractors and subcontractors to be NIST SP 800-171 compliant and self-certify on their adherence to these rules. Although the new framework includes these requirements, additional cybersecurity standards will also be baked into the new cybersecurity model, including NIST SP 800-53, ISO 270001 and ISO 27032. Meeting these standards – and being certified by an accredited certification assessor – is a requirement to continue fulfilling or bidding on DoD contracts.
- What are the 5 CMMC levels?
- Level 1: Safeguard Federal Contract Information (FCI)
- Level 2: Serve as transition step in cybersecurity maturity progression to protect CUI
- Level 3: Protect Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI)
- Levels 4 & 5: Protect CUI and reduce risk of Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs)
Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC)
Department of Defense (DoD) requires proof of CMMC compliance to ensure protection of controlled unclassified information (CUI) from nation-state and nefarious actors, while keeping the supply chain running safely. Is your Cybersecurity maturity plan at the desired level to participate in the US government contract bidding process?
Advance Your Compliance
Meet Compliance Needs
Our trusted experts can help by reviewing your system security plan and preparing artifacts for examination by the Third Party Assessor Organization (C3PAO). Get accredited and win government contracts requiring CMMC cybersecurity compliance.
Improve Security Maturity
Acquire greater visibility into the data assets you are responsible for securing, and uplift your security posture to sleep soundly at night. Rapidly mitigate the impact of a security incident with a comprehensive incident response plan.
Build Your Trust Story
With more and more clients – both public and private sector – demanding robust security controls, being able to tell a compelling story about your risk management, compliance, and security program, is key to winning work.
Balance Risk, Cost and Service
Quite obviously, security has a cost. Implemented without an effective plan, you can easily spend more than you need to, and achieve less real security than you want to. We can help you balance risk, cost, and service delivery to ensure maximum return on investment.
Trustwave offers a broad security portfolio and industry-leading managed security services to help you align with the CMMC requirements, achieve CMMC compliance, as well as grow your maturity to move beyond compliance.
Advice for boards and top management on strategy, governance, compliance, and security to maximize return on investment. We can assess the gap between your current and target compliance state, then design and help deliver your CMMC program.
Managed Detection and Response
24x7 managed detection and response powered by our proven Trustwave Fusion platform, connecting to your existing security tools with advanced analytics and best-in-class Trustwave SpiderLabs threat intelligence and expertise.
Digital Forensics and Incident Response (DFIR)
Quickly determine the source, cause and extent of a breach – and then contain, eradicate and investigate the incident, or get proactive by solidifying your response before a security event occurs.
Managed Security Testing
Conduct scanning and penetration testing across your databases, networks and applications to reveal vulnerabilities.
A library of resources developed for real clients, including incident response guidelines and playbooks, awareness training strategies and presentations, and more to help implement information security in your organization.
Discover, assess and report on misconfigurations, improper access controls and other weaknesses within databases.
Proactive Threat Hunting (PTH)
Trustwave has proven results across entire SOC maturity, strategy, and governance of scalable roadmaps. Proactive Threat Hunting (PTH) is recommended for Maturity Levels 4 and 5 when Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) controls are required.
Augment your capabilities with more specialized and actionable counseling, including our Consulting & Professional Services practice and SpiderLabs Red and Purple Teaming.