EMAIL THREAT REPORT
Improve Cyber Resiliency with Layered Email Security
Email is the number one attack vector used by threat actors who are continuously increasing their sophistication. An organization can only be secure with a multi-layered approach to email security. Trustwave MailMarshal’s layered security reduces false positives and protects against spam, gateway attacks, viruses, phishing attempts, and malicious URLs.
Catch what others miss & protect against ransomware, business email compromise (BEC), phishing, malware, and zero-day exploits.
Management Flexibility and Control
Achieve granular control, policy management, and compliance tasks through a single portal.
Ease of Implementation
Set up and start protecting email within minutes with built-in rule sets.
Track Record of Success
25 years of leadership in email security services supported by Trustwave SpiderLabs elite threat detection security team.
99.99% Malware and exploit capture rate
Powered by telemetry from 5,000+ global MSS/MDR clients
0 clients reported ransomware infection or major incidents
130+ built-in policies for fast implementation
< 0.001% false positives
Complements Microsoft 365, Azure Rights Management Services (RMS), and other cloud email solutions
Flexible Deployment Options that fit the Needs of Your Business
Retain on-site, granular control of your email environment and gain industry leading protection.
Combine a software-based on-premises or SaaS-delivered cloud deployment to furnish additional layers of protection.
Achieve improved email security and save money by complementing your web-based email gateways.
Try Trustwave MailMarshal with SQL Express free for 30 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Secure email is a message, using SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) communication, that is free from unauthorized access, attack, loss, or interception.
Sending email securely covers two levels. First, your personal privacy must be respected by encrypting the email. Second, it’s important that your organization’s policies are respected. For example, policy controls may be used to inspect content being sent to ensure that intellectual property policies are observed.
The most secure email uses a multi-layered approach to protect email in multiple ways. Trustwave MailMarshal is the most comprehensive solution in the industry to do so, in the following layers:
• IP Reputation, Marshal RBL, Spamhaus
• SpamProfiler (Cloudmark)
• Email Threats/KnownThreatsZeroDay (Proprietary to Trustwave)
• Advanced Malware and Exploit Detection (AMAX) (Proprietary to Trustwave)
• Sophos or other AV Engine
• SpamCensor (Proprietary to Trustwave)
• BEC Filter/Sigs (Proprietary to Trustwave)
• PhishFilter+URLDeep (Proprietary to Trustwave)
• Suspect URL/BTM (Proprietary to Trustwave)
• Email Policy Settings
The general types of email security in the market includes some limited SPAM profiling and malware detection, sandboxing, and IP Reputation Check. MailMarshal goes beyond these with:
• Finding additional threats
• Multi-faceted content scanning
• Email Policy Settings
Trustwave MailMarshal provides:
• Increased malspam detection rates
• Improved Ransomware and BEC fraud detection
• Deeper malicious file attachment detection
• Inspect Azure RMS-encrypted attachments
• Retain maximum control of your email for internal processes
• Minimize software licensing costs
A Secure Email Gateway (SEG) monitors incoming and outgoing email to prevent email threats and deliver authorized email. Email threats include ransomware, spam, phishing attacks, and other malware. Outgoing messages are scanned against policies to prevent sensitive data from leaving the organization or to automatically encrypt emails to protect sensitive information. An SEG can be deployed on-prem, as a hybrid solution or as a cloud service.
Benefits of using secure email include:
• Protecting your email from compromise
• Sending and receiving email with privacy and internal policy controls respected
• Sending and receiving only appropriate email, free from SPAM and threats
• Ensuring that email is not erroneously quarantined or sent to SPAM folders
Firewalls can be set up to block emails in some ways, for example by blocking emails from certain IP addresses. Trustwave MailMarshal provides much more granular and flexible rules-based email filtering.