1) The New York Times investigates why the core weaknesses of election systems aren't being fixed.
2) The FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center issued an alert that malicious hackers are escalating attacks on remote desktop protocol connections.
3) Attackers have embarked on a new phishing campaign targeting employees with the goal of bilking them out of their online payroll account credentials.
4) ATM thieves are using a new tampering method that implants skimming devices inside the cash machine.
5) The Russia-based Fancy Bear advanced persistent threat cybercrime group is targeting governments with a the first in-the-wild case of the UEFI rootkit.