Follow Trustwave on Twitter, connect with us on LinkedIn and like us on Facebook.
1) A crippling distributed denial-of-service attack that dealt a massive blow to the internet on Friday was powered by the Mirai botnet made up of tens of millions of compromised IoT devices. Such an event will likely happen again, but here are some things you can do to help keep yourself and others safe.
2) But not all is lost. There are reasons to believe the internet is becoming more secure.
3) Oracle closed out its 2016 patch distribution with a quarterly update that plugged more than 250 vulnerabilities across its portfolio.
4) A 9-year-old Linux privilege escalation vulnerability - nicknamed Dirty COW because of where it is located in the kernel - can give local users root access and leaves millions vulnerable.
5) U.S. bank regulators plan to stiffen standards around cybersecurity.